- Center Stage: How can we use our CS Digital programming initiative to provide theater in a way that expands the art form – and pushes its boundaries – to increase access to theater for everyone?
- Intermedia Arts: How will we enroll a new physical space in creating artistic and structural models that have equity and inclusion at their core?
- Pillsbury House and Theatre: How can designing and using evaluation processes stimulate authentic community engagement, develop a distribution system for communications, and generate art?
- The Public Theater: How can we sustainably mirror artists’ creative processes in the way we produce their work?
Innovation Lab for the Performing Arts
Launched in 2008, this Lab helps performing arts and arts presenting organizations address complex challenges through rigorous experimentation and learning.
Our 2015-2016 Working Open Fellow, Hana Sharif, has been writing about the Center Stage Theater's Transparency Project, which is their prototype that is creating a nimble, responsive organizational culture that facilitates interdepartmental collaboration and regularly “yields innovation.”
Past Program Participants
- Adventure Stage Chicago – Chicago, IL
- The Apollo Theater – New York, NY
- Center of Creative Arts (COCA) – St. Louis, MO
- Children’s Theatre Company – Minneapolis, MN
- Dad’s Garage Theatre Company – Atlanta, GA
- Dance Exchange (Liz Lerman) – Silver Spring, MD
- Dancewave – Brooklyn, NY
- Denver Center Theatre Company – Denver, CO
- The Civilians – Brooklyn, NY
- Flynn Center for the Performing Arts – Burlington, VT
- Geva Theatre Center – Rochester, NY
- HERE – New York, NY
- International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) – New York, NY
- John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts – Washington, DC
- MAPP International Productions – New York, NY
- Roadside Theater (Appalshop) – Whitesburg, KY
- Northrop Concerts and Lectures – Minneapolis, MN
- Oregon Shakespeare Festival – Ashland, OR
- The Pearl Theatre Company – New York, NY
- Portland Institute of Contemporary Art – Portland, OR
- The Public Theater – New York, NY
- Redmoon Theater – Chicago, IL
- Springboard for the Arts – Minneapolis, MN
- STREB – Brooklyn, NY
- The Theater Offensive – Boston, MA
- University Musical Society – Ann Arbor, MI
- Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company – Washington, D.C.
- The Wooster Group – New York, NY
- Yerba Buena Center for the Arts – San Francisco, CA
- New Dramatists – New York, NY
- New York Live Arts – New York, NY
What to Read Next…
Innovation Lab for Museums
A program for museums to design, research and prototype novel approaches to field-wide challenges.
Innovation Lab for Arts Development Agencies
In 2013, we launched a Lab for arts service organizations wrestling with new models and new mindsets.
A deep dive program for museums, performing arts organizations, and arts development agencies experimenting with new practices.